Music, after a fashion

Enthusiasts for my peculiar musical outpourings (and yes, there are one or two, despite what the rest of you may think) will be pleased to know that a new, improved version of "Know Your Enemy" is now on Soundcloud,.  This sports a guitar break in the middle, and a (guitar) instrumental bit at the end, for those that like that kind of thing (me).  Also "live" bass guitar in places, courtesy of the recently-acquired Thunder Jet (see Music).  Sadly, the lovely Jackie hasn't (yet) been able to make good on her offer to have a go at the high vocal parts (due to ill-health - waaah!) so it's still me singing - although I have attempted some magic to make the vocals sit better in the mix, as we wannabe sound engineering types like to say.

I am happy to confide in my blog readers that I found it incredibly difficult to come up with a guitar break for this crazy song.  I had to work it out in little bits, and then learn how to play the little bits, and then go round and round trying to get all the way through each little bit without screwing it up, and then cobble all the little bits together - it's a far cry from jamming.  Of course, that's why we have MIDI, where you can do all the "getting it right" afterwards instead.   I suppose in serves me right for trying to write a harmonically "interesting" tune.  If any of you musos out there fancy a challenge, try playing along to it!  It's basically impossible.  Nevertheless, I've found the song to be a bit of an earworm - but maybe that's just because I've now listened to it more than twelve billion times...

The estimable Mr. Golding has sent me lyrics for another song, so who knows, a few months from now there may be another strange eruption from the bowels of the Sears music room.  I think something a bit more Techno maybe?

In the meantime,  I've also released something I did a while ago; a piano instrumental (phew!) called Raggedize. This tune has seen the light of day before, on a CD I made for my brother Alan, but that version was inexplicably missing the percussion track.  Since the starting point for the whole thing was the drum part, I thought that was a bit of a shame, although I tried not to make a big deal of it at the time, since it was supposed to be part of a birthday present.  Anyway, Alan - if you're out there - this is how it was supposed to be!


3 comments:

  1. As you say a fine earworm although J on the high notes would be innovative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. There are recorded examples of the lovely Jackie singing, but not nearly enough of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm here! Excellent noodling!! And love the drum track for Raggedize - more music please! LnH.

    ReplyDelete