Running

I'm not sure whether this news has the whimsical quality which I usually strive for, but it does contain a path, of sorts (see "about me") so here we go.

After a spectacular series of personal best times up and down the hill (PB now stands at 21:52, phew!), I decided that it was time to break out and try running on the flat.  The course I chose is along the Exeter Flood Relief Channel to the Miller's Crossing bridge, around the millstone and back the same way - pretty flat except for Exwick Hill itself, which is steeply uphill right at the end of the run.

And so it was that I ran 2 miles, continuously, for the first time in my life, as far as I am able to judge.  I was once forced to participate in "cross-country running" at school, but I don't think I ran much of the 4 1/2 mile course.  Looking back, I think I did quite well to have only done it once.  As I recall it, it was cold, muddy, and thoroughly unpleasant.

By contrast, today's effort was pretty OK.  My time was 24:38, for what that's worth.  I don't see running fast anywhere in the foreseeable future, but that's OK.

Now I have to take the dog for a walk. (We are looking after the noble Bruce)

No comments:

Post a Comment