Boring admin!

I've decided to change the way subscription works on the Infinite Weekend blog.  I know that the current system works OK from the subscriber's point of view (if you've succeeded in jumping through the required hoops to get on the subscription list), but it does have some snags from my point of view - the main one being that I have no idea who gets an email.  I can't even find out how many people are on the list, let alone whether anybody actually reads the post.  I get to see how many hits the actual blog site has (very few, thanks for asking) but after that it's all a mystery.  I'm sure all this secrecy is intended to stop me from blackmailing my subscribers (imagine if your boss found out that you read this sort of stuff!) but it's no good for me.

Hence the change - which is to use MailChimp to send the subscription emails instead of Blogger.  That way, I get complete control over the email content, as well as stats on how many emails are sent, and even (if I want to) how many people have actually opened their email.  Slightly spooky, me looking into your inbox like that, but it's honestly nothing compared to what Google et al already do, let alone what they have in mind for you in their brave new world of 5G-enabled globally-integrated universal track'n'trace.  Did you know Microsoft have a patent for a cryptocurrency mining system which works by measuring people's physical (or even mental) activity, and reporting back to their server exactly how hard you're working? Hard to imagine that being used for anything other than benign purposes, isn't it?  But since the virus, this sort of intrusion into your very being is now vitally important for your (and everybody else's) health, as well as the usual global domination.  Honest.  Anyway, we can't let the Chinese have all the big data, can we?

But I digress.  The important thing is that to make this subscription thing work, I need everybody who's already taken the trouble to subscribe, to do so again, using the new form, which now includes spaces for your name.  I presume that, as before, it only appears on the "web version" of the blog (not the email or mobile version), although I haven't checked that properly yet.  If you do manage to find it, (if you are on the website, it should be just to the right of this text >>>) you just have to fill it in, and you're done, thank you very much.  No silly "I'm not a robot" nonsense.  Also, if you fill in the First Name field, your emails get a personalised greeting!  And if you fill in the Last Name field as well, I won't have to guess who you are...

If you can find it in yourself to be so kind, I'd be enormously grateful.

I suppose you will also have to unsubscribe yourself from the original list too.  I'd love to help, but since I don't even get access to the list, I am powerless!


Now that that's done, it's time for more frivolous things!  It was the lovely Jackie's birthday the other day, so I made her a cake.  After the brilliant success of my recent best-cake-I've-ever-made carrot, walnut and ginger cake (Nigella Lawson's recipe, but with no cream cheese in the icing), I went for a somewhat own-recipe beetroot and chocolate cake with soft chocolate icing.  Here's what it looked like:

no-name beetroot cake

The cake was a little bit denser than intended, but the icing was a bit of a triumph, even though I do say so myself.  It's made from double cream that had been in the fridge long enough to go solid and start to slightly resemble cream cheese (150g), mixed with melted 70% chocolate (100g).  No added sugar.  Or actual cheese.  It's not as greasy as butter icing, but it has all the other desirable qualities, and it's extremely chocolatey.  Mmmm.

Anyway, the lovely Jackie suggested decorating the thing with dried raspberries (which we have in stock), and since it was her birthday cake I obviously agreed, which resulted in this:

Covid-cake
...which we instantly renamed Covid-cake, for obvious reasons.

Then my brother Alan and his wife sent delicious hand-made chocolates, one of which looked just like the Covid-cake in miniature.  So in the final rename it became Pacman-cake...
 
Pacman-cake

 ...and then we ate it. 

12 comments:

  1. Well done and yummy looking cake! Interestingly the pictures don't come up when viewed from the email, just empty boxes. Nothing is ever perfect, apart from your icing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... I wonder if your email client is asking for plain text emails, rather than html? If you re-subscribe, the next message will just be a link rather than the blog post. It will be informing to see how that looks...

      Delete
  2. Hilarious serendipity! And the PacMan cake is just brilliant - laughed out loud (although my backside is still attached to the rest of me so not actually LMAO, which is just silly.) I think I have just resubscribed - if you have any way of knowing that please let me know too! LnH Al

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well really! I'm tempted to charge you for all this complex admin work. Luckily I quite enjoy reading your witty banter (with an embedded engineering slant), I have even been known to look forward to reading it (when I can remember to- look forward that is) so will let you off this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most kind, anonymous no.53.

      You could always use a name that your loved ones won't recognise - like RE350 or something?

      Delete
  4. Love the Covid/PacMan cake! I'm pretty sure I have managed to re-subscribe too. Incidentally the pictures DID come up when I was viewing it from my email. I don't pretend to understand any of the technical stuff but I do understand cake, and you clearly did an excellent job for the birthday girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that a Classic Hymer I see there Mrs Spanner? I run an old B544!

      Delete
    2. If only I could stop people leaving anonymous comments!

      Who else do we know with a classic Hymer?

      Delete
    3. It's me, IanS. Don't know why I'm anonymous as "Reply as" is set correctly?

      Delete
    4. Hmmm. Me neither. Not much I can do there...

      Delete
  5. Scintillating....how's piano practice proceeding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fitfully. In leaps and bounds, with little thought for where the landings might occur. Moderate; occasionally poor. Thundery in the left hand later!

      Delete