Rusty, It's Goodbye

I was trying to find a suitable memorial for poor Rusty the digger driver, and I came up with this.  I think a dog-loving Australian yodelling cowboy bush balladeer guitar player with a rhyming name is a pretty appropriate candidate to commemorate a gentle English digger driver who worked with his dog in the cab, don't you?  Oh, and in case any of you were thinking of emitting a scornful snort at any point in the performance, I'd like to point out that during his lifetime, Slim Dusty was considered an Australian National Treasure.  National Living Treasure is a status created and occasionally updated by the National Trust of Australia's New South Wales branch, awarded to up to 100 living people. Recipients were [sic] selected by popular vote for having made outstanding contributions to Australian society in any field of human endeavour. (Wikipedia)

So there!

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jozYWe4l_qY

Anyway, it turns out that our Rusty hasn't gone to the great scrapheap in the sky after all, and he's going to be here tomorrow with his digger and probably his dog too, to help the redoubtable sappers fill in the gaping gaps behind the redoubt.  Strange that, isn't it?  I mean, who has a dog called "too"?

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant!! Reminds me of that great Ralph McTell/Rick Scholefield/Pete Sears track "I had a Dog but it Died." And as for adding cooees to the yodel well, Roy Rogers eat your heart out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Having just emerged from a similarly muddy escapade, you have my sympathies! Ours is all paved over, gravelled & raked for seeding. All I have to do now is finish paying for it.......

    ReplyDelete